Friday, March 10, 2006

PEACE IN THE HOME, Part 1

Peace with God 

 

I have nine grandchildren.  I am a hands-on grandmother.  Even though they all live at least a days drive away, I have cared for them for extended periods at every stage of their development. As hard as I try when I am with the kids I cannot get out of hair braiding, home schooling and carpooling. I drive to karate, piano, ballet, and cheerleading. I oversee homework, music practice, devotions and prayers.  And I need to have lunches and dinners ready on time.  In the midst of it all, when the stress of it is fresh in my mind, and I am admiring my daughter and daughter-in-law, and young mothers everywhere, it has occurred to me that the one place in the home that a woman can make peaceful is herself.  And, for the sake of all concerned, she must.

 

Sometimes it is hard to recognize that God has made provision for us.  As a young mother I used to work feverishly trying to convince God that I could handle it all.  Each crisis would renew my efforts, as tired as I was, to demonstrate that I had it all under control.  My, how pleased God must be, or how annoyed or disappointed or…..  It never occurred to me that He wanted to help me. 

 

Oh, I prayed.  But I never let go of the reigns.  Imagine me with a wild horse on the end of a rope and crying out “help, help” but refusing to release the rope, even to the expert horse trainer who comes to my aid.  I now know that the King of the universe was waiting patiently for me to allow him to help me.  He said he would provide all my needs, he knows my needs before I speak them. In Philippians 4 we read:

 

4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. NIV

 

 This is a passage with a promise – wives should memorize it. Even in the midst of chaos we must believe that we can have the peace God promises.  The enemy of our soul is also the enemy of our home.  We must decide whose report we will believe, allow the peace we have asked for to come, and stop fretting.  Accept His loving provision.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was at a grocery store.  I paid & the cashier said "Excuse me, I'll be right back", she hadn't given me my receipt yet & there's 4 people behind me. The cashier ran from the register vigorisly looking for something. Thought she was looking for register tape.  She was asking other cashiers "Any over there? wait, found the last one, Great!" Gees, people behind me want to pay for their food.  Cashier came back, stopped.  Graciously stood straight, shoulders back, smiling proudly and said, "Miss,  YOU'VE JUST WON 2 FREE MOVIE TICKETS".    A mission to get me those tickets!  Jumped through hoops!  Spent time, effort, enlistes others.  She didn't know how little money I have had lately.  She didn't know how special that was to ME!  She didn't realize how frugal I was being as I was picking out food to buy.  She didn't know that I'm starting a career that costs so much that my husband is paying for and I don't have 2 nickles to rub together right now.  Some may say, "Oh, she was just doing her job." Naa, I'm not buying it!  I know when God touches my heart & when it is directly from Him!  The Throne room of heaven. The same God who made the stars, the moon, the sun created this beautiful earth, animals, decided to give me 2 Free Movie Tickets to let me know He loves me and He cares about ME!  Something I could share with my husband and say, The Lord provided this for us!  I cried on the way home and said "Lord, thank you so much for your FAVOR! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MY FREE MOVIE TICKETS! I kept saying "I love you too Jesus, I love you too!  HE BLESSED ME!  IT TOUCHED MY HEART IN SUCH A SPECIAL WAY I CAN'T EXPRESS! ITS THE LITTLE THINGS THAT GOD USES SOMETIMES TO SAY, I'M WITH YOU AND I'M LOOKING OUT FOR YOU AND I LOVE YOU SO MUCH TOO! We need to keep our hearts softened and touchable, and not callused and hard. Keep an eye out for when He's going to Bless you.