Saturday, September 30, 2006

PERSONAL WALK: Receiving Criticism

Take It For What It’s Worth

 

“When you can receive correction and reproof . . , and can humbly submit inwardly as well as outwardly, finding no rebellion or resentment rising up within your heart, you are dying to flesh.”

(Helen Trowbridge)

(Transcribed  from “Drop Dead”, a sermon, August, 2001, in Blue Mountain, PA)

 

Not too long ago a friend described me in a way that sounded critical.  I said nothing at the time.  Later, when I thought about it, I felt a twinge of annoyance.  However, since I know this person loves me, I decided to take the comment for what it was worth . . .an observation from someone who would not intentionally do me harm. 

 

Today my friend’s remark came back to my mind.  It suddenly occurred to me how true her statement was.  I am, in fact, the way she described me.  The aspect of my personality she was commenting on is part of me and does no harm to others; there is no sin involved.  It’s just the way I am made. She had accepted it even though I had not.  Yet.  Now, after a brief, whispered prayer, I have accepted that God does not make us all the same, and I have been allowed to develop in a particular way for a particular purpose.  Having someone point this out is not a bad thing.

 

It occurs to me that this has happened many times in my life.  My husband, my children, or my friends have commented on something I have said or done in a way I thought implied disappoval.  Unless the comment is being used as a weapon, I try to take it for what it’s worth.  Sometimes it is worth very little and can be discarded.   Sometimes God will bring it back to my remembrance and show me its purpose.  If I refuse to remain offended or resentful He may show me a need for correction, or reassure me that He has His hand in the situation.  Those who love you can be valuable mirrors for the parts of you that you cannot see or hear.  Let those comments do their work in your life.  You may be the better for it.

No comments: