Wednesday, February 8, 2006

. . . and Love Your Neighbor

One reason we have such difficulty in relationships with others is that we proceed as though there are no instructions.  And yet the instructions are excruciatingly clear:

 

 For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Gal 5:14 NLV

 

It is not so mysterious.  The question is not, “What would Jesus do?”, but “What did He command us to do?”  The problem is that often what we want to do bears little resemblance to what we have been commanded to do.  So instead of obeying the commandment we become consumed with confusion. 

 

For instance, “Who is my neighbor?”  Now, how could that be confusing?  It is easier to answer who is not your neighbor.  According to scripture no one gets left out.  “Well, then, what is love?”  Okay, that is a tough one?  Because love is certainly not what most of the world thinks it is – a way to get our own needs met.   You know: “I love you because you have all the qualities I need to feel good about myself.”  No.  That’s not it.  Let’s keep going and see if this gets clearer. 

 

“How do I love myself?”  Hmmm. More confusion?  No matter what we may think from time to time, we really do love ourselves.  We may hate our uncooperative hair, double chins, and even our flat feet, but if anyone asks us how we would like to be treated at any given time we would choose for ourselves the best of care.  No one would ever say to himself, “I wish the worst possible treatment for myself.  I wish to be betrayed, belittled, lied to, and ignored.  I wish to be abused, and treated in every rude and disrespectful manner.”

 

Okay.  Christ says take all the stuff you want for yourself, and give it to everybody else. 

 

“Oh, Please!  How can He expect that?  Do you know what I went through yesterday?”   Well, no. I don’t.  But, Jesus does.  And He knew it would happen when He gave you the commandment. 

 

You see, early one morning, after a particularly difficult week and a challenging weekend, Jesus went to visit some friends.  These friends had just recently abandoned his cause, and one had even denied knowing him.  But, that morning they had been up working most of the night.  Realizing that they were discouraged and hungry, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, God incarnate, King of kings, Lord of lords, the Lamb of God who was tortured, bled and died for the sins of the whole world, the Risen Savior. . . . . cooked breakfast.  

(based on John 21:1-13)

© T.G. 1999

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing  your words of inspiration.  I t made it much clearer when I added my spouse's name to the blanks. I guess that's the secret to applying the Word to your life is putting your name in the blank. Thanks for the knowledge that you shared with me. Keep writing as it is sorely needed in theis day of do as you wish. dec

Anonymous said...

I really love this because it shows practical love.  Christ's love expressed in a practical way.  MAKING BREAKFAST. For we women who don't like to show love to our husbands love in these "PRACTICAL" ways, struggle.  We say in our minds, "make your own breakfast if your going to talk to me like that" and just evade the idea of a sit down breakfast. But just like Jesus, these friends, close friends of his were not perfect either. They were born with issues and had issues with all kinds of stuff. So I'm going to work on what my husband needs and provide that need. If we can't love the unlovelys in our own household how can we love the neighbor accross the street.  Tina said once "PERPETUAL FORGIVNESS". That stuck.