Sunday, November 12, 2006

PERSONAL WALK

Warring in the Spirit

 

Lately, I have been concerned about an ongoing situation over which I have no control. It seems to sneak up on me without warning and leaves me with a sense of dread.  When I sought my husband for support he asked, “What do you tell others to do at times like this?”  (Why do the people who love me always ask me that question instead of covering me with sympathy and letting me wallow in my pain?)  I couldn’t think of a thing.  I whined about how different this problem was from the “wives issues” that are brought to me.  All I know is that I need help because my sleep and digestion are being disturbed. 

 

This morning as I was praying I remembered what I tell others in situations like this.  I explain that this is war.  Our enemy is trying to make us think there is nothing we can do about our circumstances. We are defenseless.  Hewants us to think we have no hope. This kind of attack is common to us all. There is one such battle that is well known to us.

 

             Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread." Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."  (Matt. 4:1-3)

 

Right there, in Matthew 4, we find a pattern for warring against the devious tricks of Satan.  The weapon of our warfare is the Word of God.  When we know who we are and that we have a full quiver of “arrows” from the Word we can use them effectively to put the enemy to flight. 

 

So, now I am using the very strategy I recommend to others.

          1)  Recognize that this situation is real but is being used by Satan to disable me.

          2)  Remember that my Father did not leave me  defenseless.

          3)  Find a scripture that fits my particular challenge 

          4)  Commit that scripture to memory.

          5)  Pray the verse whenever the enemy attacks

          6)  Repeat this process as needed until the enemy  gives up this fight and goes away.

          7)  Note to self: Don’t forget the strategy; he’ll be back.

 

My Scripture for my battle:

            Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by    prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

 

Imagine that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really needed this!

Thank you for reminding me that I am never defenseless.  I have been upset regarding a certain situation at home.  It makes me become paralyzed with hopelessness when I think about it too much.  I try to avoid this by not thinking about it or dealing with the situation (not such a good idea).  When I feel like this, it is hard sometimes to step back and remember all that God has given me to war and live in our world.

Now, I just need to walk this out.  I am going to try the steps you recommended regarding my situation.  I like your verse - I think I'll borrow it.   It gives me hope.