Friday, November 3, 2006

PERSONAL WALK

 . . . . It’s Me

 

Remember when George on Seinfeld coined his favorite phrase, “It’s not you. It’s me?”   This was his device to manipulate himself out of an unwanted relationship.  I have found that this phrase is also useful (and usually true) in relationships we are trying to sustain.

 

I said it years ago to my teenaged daughter when I decided to stop trying to make her the person I wanted her to be, freeing her to become the woman God intended.  I have silently said it to my husband when I decide to stop trying to make him to do what I want him to do.  I say it to those in authority over me when I decide to stop rebelling and submit.  I say it to God when I have finished having a tantrum because he allows me to endure loss or pain.  A woman in Wives Club said it recently when she wrote to us at length complaining bitterly about her trials with her husband and children, then laughingly and lovingly decided to keep them and continue to serve them as unto the Lord. (See Just Wives blog, 11/03). The Psalmist said it when he sought the Lord for mercy.

 

How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?
       How long will you hide your face from me?

How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
       and every day have sorrow in my heart?
       How long will my enemy triumph over me?

Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
       Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;  

my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
       and my foes will rejoice when I fall.  

But I trust in your unfailing love;
       my heart rejoices in your salvation.

 I will sing to the LORD,

      for he has been good to me. (Psalm 13. NIV)

 

It’s not you; it’s me.  I want my own way.  I want to be spared discomfort.  I want to be a mighty women of God without persecutions (See Mark 10 29-31).  Our heavenly father understands.  He knows our human desire to have the good without the bad, to have Easter Sunday without Good Friday.  Heholds us in his arms and comforts us.  He says “My precious one, do nothing in your own strength.  Just take my hand and trust in me.  I know the way to fulfill the plans I have for you.  It’s not you, it’s Me.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!  That's a lot to think about.  If we thought about these things before  we presented them to others, how victorious we would be.It's all in His Word. We just have to stay in His Word and let His Word stay in us. My ink is getting low but I want to copy this so that I can thoroughly read this again and again. Be blessed. Dc